The mansion was declared a Washington County Historic Landmark in 1991.
During its heyday, the Carriage House, which is located adjacent to the restaurant, had large bi-parting doors to accommodate the entrance of horses. The horses were utilized to draw the estate’s carriage as it was driven by the Carriage Master who was essentially the estate's chauffeur. He lived above the horses in the upper part of the structure, was well-dressed and was in charge of keeping the harnesses and carriage polished, as well as taking care of the horses.
Stairwell of Quail Mansion.
Upstairs doorway of the Quail Mansion.
Pig and Fire House of Barbeque located in the original Quail Mansion is pictured above on the 4th of July.
Interior photo of the Carriage House - currently Fragile Paradise Florist
The Quail Mansion as it stood over a century ago. Notice the 3 family members on the front porch with their loyal dog pictured in the center. At the time, the 2 story porch featured custom-fabricated curtains that adorned this grand entrance and provided adjustable shade. Also pictured is a sidewalk leading toward what is now Route 19. The sidewalk is no longer there, nor are the large healthy trees. It is fascinating to imagine those who have inhabited this property and what has occurred here throughout its history.
The large house contains three stairwells and many outbuildings, such as the Spring House, Carriage House, and barn, which still remain in use on the property. The house originally had a two story porch where the kitchen is now located. Although the porch is gone, the large pillars that sustained the structure are still evident in the kitchen.
The Shoppes at Quail Acres
Exterior photo of the Carriage House and Pig and Fire House of BBQ bar entrance.
Bride and Groom pictured on Quail Acres grounds.
Built in 1837, the Quail House is an excellent example of the colonial architecture of the time period. Complete with Greek Revival and Palladian-style architecture, the house is largely preserved. Interesting features of the home include: the plain stone lintels; elegant interior woodwork; the original blacksmith-forged iron lightning rods and door hardware; a regal stairwell banister imported from Europe and carved from one cherry tree; and double chimneys connected by a gable curtain.
In 1811, William Quail, a very successful farmer and stock broker from County Down Patrick in Ireland, purchased 147 acres of land in Washington County, Pennsylvania. This property would become known as the Quail Acres Estate. William Quail left the property to his son, David Quail, who purchased additional land for the estate. Though the property expanded, it was not until David’s son, William McAlpine Quail, inherited the property that the Quail Mansion was finally constructed.
Of the original 180 acres, 4.5 exist today, which provide a wonderful outdoor space forweddings and other events on the side terrace lawn.